passages part one

Tommy Goff at band camp in Warm Springs, Ga. (circa 1987)


I want to preface this by saying that In the time I've been away from the blog, much has happened. It's not of the daily news variety. It's not all fun or light-hearted. That sort of information I now relay on Facebook and I recommend anyone who uses the Internet religiously to get an account. It's free and much more interactive than traditional blog world. That explains a part of my absence and probably some of my future absences from this medium. I feel like this blog is a better channel for more serious thoughts and writing and when those moments occur, they will be reflected here. This series of entries aren't downer as much as they are changes in my life that I need to remember and later reflect on.

The entire season of Fall has passed and with it some people, animals and places who have meant a lot to me in different points of my life. I given a lot of thought to how I would word this to honor them and these words don't come easy at times which is the reason for the long blog absence. I guess this is a matter of quality over quantity.

My first installment of this series called "passages" is dedicated to Tommy Goff, my former band director at Auburn High School. He died September 25 after a brief illness at age 75. This is lifted directly from his obituary, that ran in the Opelika-Auburn News, and tells the story of his amazing life:

Tommy Goff was born June 13, 1933 in Mobile, Alabama. A self-described "C/D student" until he discovered the trumpet and the band, Mr. Goff found that his new passion fueled a pursuit of excellence in other areas of his life as well. During high school, Tommy also made extra money playing dance jobs around Mobile and New Orleans, developing a love of jazz. After graduating from Murphy High School in 1951, Goff decided to come to Auburn University with a friend to major in Aeronautical Engineering. After only two weeks, Tommy realized he should change his major to Music Education.

During his college years, Tommy was active in a number of music-related organizations, including the Auburn Knights Association, a jazz band comprised mainly of AU students, earning desperately-needed side money. Upon graduation, Mr. Goff accepted the position of Band Director for Lee County High School (now known as Auburn Junior High School), which housed students in grades 6 through 12. In later years, Auburn High School was built, and Mr. Goff became the Director of AHS Bands. During Mr. Goff's 32 years in the Auburn City School System, the AHS bands - concert, marching, and jazz (lab) - all became notable for their excellence, innovation, and mature playing style.

Mr. Goff and the bands he directed won many awards, gave a number of invited performances, and in 1987, were notified they had received the Sudler Flag of Honor, the highest honor that can be bestowed on a high school band program. A number of his former students went on to become professional musicians and band directors, which pleased him immensely. Following his retirement in 1988, Mr. Goff continued to stay active in the music field by adjudicating competitions, teaching private lessons, and writing and arranging music for small ensembles. Throughout his life, Mr. Goff was a devoted Auburn University football fan, as well as an active participant in the annual Auburn Knights Reunion held each summer.


Mr. Goff was a legend and I think he knew it, but he didn't ride on it. He was a wonderful mix of a disciplinarian who didn't put up with mischief or excuses, but at the same time could turn around and make a joke on himself or a student who deserved it. His understanding of the importance of all genres of music was and will always be a major influence on my life. The quality I adored the most about Mr. Goff was that he wanted to know what was his students were listening to and many of those songs he transposed into marching transcripts and we performed them. Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al," Swing Out Sister's "Break Out" and The Bangles "Walk Like an Egyptian," were trademark songs of 1986 and we performed all three. My favorite was a medley he created of Stevie Wonder songs. Mr. Goff's musical taste range was wide and his interest in his student's musical tastes was an inspiration for me.

I was so nervous during our first halftime show that I lined up on the wrong side of the field before the performance. Fortunately I noticed or someone else did and got me back to my right spot, but Mr. Goff got such a laugh about it that 10 years later when I saw him at an Auburn University basketball game, I greeted him with a hug and the first thing he said to me was, "You were the one who lined up on the wrong side of the field." I guess it's good to be known for something embarrassing rather than nothing at all.

Being in marching band under his direction was one of the happiest times of my teen-aged life. I met many wonderful people, many of whom I've touched base with in the past year through Facebook. I learned musical discipline and how wonderful the feeling is of performing a song that you feel in your heart, one that could almost bring you to tears. I looked forward to our performances, to wearing our marching uniform and proud of the sweat and heart we had all put into those halftime shows.

It is a love I carry with me today when I play guitar, when I hear new music and when I hear old music that's new to me -- jazz, rock, funk, classical, blues and more. My ears were opened by Tommy Goff and his lessons, ethic and passion will remain an inspiration for me for the rest of my life. God bless Tommy King Goff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

five months -- no drinks

I love the USA!

Comfort zones